Friday, August 3, 2012

Southwestern Quinoa Salad




I seriously cannot believe that it is already August! Didn't I just get home from finals?? Wasn't July 4th yesterday?? Where does time go?!?! I'm excited because August means my birthday and my return to Chapel Hill, but I must say I am not ready for classes! I am in full on summer mode.

I love summer. I always have. I especially love the fresh foods ready to be eaten during the summertime: berries, corn, watermelon, etc. Yum yum yum. With all these fresh foods readily available, and with swimsuit season well upon us (eek.), I love having healthy go to dishes.

This summer, I have fallen in love with the healthy protein-rich and fiber-filled quinoa. I have definitely hopped on the quinoa bandwagon. It is so easy and can be made in a variety of different ways, making it versatile for any meal! With so many recipes floating around, you seriously can't get bored with this stuff.

This dish is packed with black beans, corn, and red bell peppers - nom. The lime juice and cilantro give it a bright, fresh taste and make this, for me at least, a summery dish. This is healthy and filling and pairs well with grilled chicken!

Southwestern Quinoa Salad (makes 4-6 servings)
Recipe from Archer Farms Market
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15.25 oz.) can sweet corn, drained OR 2 ears of fresh, cooked corn
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 3 tbsp. lime juice
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 tsp. ground cumin

Directions

  1. Thoroughly rinse 1 cup quinoa with water. Combine quinoa and 1 and 1/2 cups water in medium saucepan.
  2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 to 15 minutes, until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
  3. Remove from heat. Let stand 15 minutes.
  4. Combine beans, corn, red bell pepper, and cilantro in a large bowl. Stir in cooked quinoa.
  5. Combine lime juice, oil, and cumin in a small bowl. Toss with quinoa misture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or chilled (I prefer chilled).

No comments:

Post a Comment