Monday, August 13, 2012

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Banana Pancakes





To say I love pancakes may be an understatement. I adore them. I obsess over them. I could eat them all the time (wait, didn't I just say that about cereal?!). It's safe to say I'm a breakfast food fanatic.

I must admit that I usually just whip out a box of pancake mix, add some water, do some flippin', and devour. But, as I am currently recovering from surgery of my own, I have been on a baking spree. I hear it helps people heal more quickly...or something like that.

When I went grocery shopping for those Reese's Cheesecake Brownies, I picked up some Reese's Peanut Butter Chips (think chocolate chips but, well, peanut butter!) while I was at the store hoping I'd be inspired to create something fun.

Inspiration came in the form of these Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Banana Pancakes. I have been craving a nice stack of pancakes for weeks now, and when I saw we had some quite ripe bananas, I knew these needed to be used to kick my traditional buttermilk pancakes up a notch.  THEN, it hit me. Banana Pancakes + Reese's Peanut Butter Chips = heaven in my mouth. I knew I had to experiment.

I love the banana/peanut butter combo (one of my fave snacks) and these pancakes are a wonderful mix of the two. The pancake recipe itself comes from the blog 100 Days of Real Food Blog (natural ingredients!) and is dense yet fluffy, and super moist. Then when you add the peanut butter chips, you essentially have peanut butter banana bread...in a pancake form...covered with syrup. You could substitute the chocolate chips for the peanut butter chips if you so desire, and these would still be amazing. I got 10 generously sized pancakes out of this recipe, so be prepared to feed a crowd (or freeze the leftovers).

Move over Jack Johnson, you've been upstaged. Enjoy!

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Banana Pancakes
Recipe adapted from 100 Days of Real Food

  • 2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 cup Reese's Peanut Butter Chips (like chocolate chips!)
Directions

  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  2. Make a well (hole) in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the honey, eggs, milk, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Whisk together thoroughly, but do not overmix.
  3. Gently fold the mashed bananas and Reese's Peanut Butter Chips into the batter with a spatula. 
  4. Heat a griddle or saute pan over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray, or swirl enough butter around the pan until it is well coated. Add pancake batter using a soup ladle.
  5. When the pancakes have begun to brown on the bottom, flip them over to cook the other side.
  6. Serve with warm maple syrup and a side of fruit. Don't forget to freeze the leftovers!

1 comment: