Thursday, November 1, 2012

Gooey S'mores Cookies






I am falling for fall. Corny, yes, but so so true. I can't get over the leaves changing colors, the crisp afternoon walks, and the constant barrage of pumpkin recipes. I love it.

Another activity I enjoyed during the fall when I was growing up was going to hayrides and bonfires. Nothing says fall like bundling up in a big sweater and roasting marshmallows to sit between melty chocolate and graham crackers...AKA s'mores.

Here, I've taken the work out of s'mores. No need to chop down firewood or anything like that. These cookies taste just like s'mores, but can be made inside in your oven year-round.

S'mores are a crowd pleaser, and I made these cookies and brought them to my Journalism class. They were a hit! The graham cracker crumbs add a special texture and sweetness, and alongside the melted marshmallows and gooey chocolate, you're in for a treat!

These cookies are a perfect fall (or winter/spring/summer) treat for the whole family! Enjoy!

Baby marshmallows. 
Festive bowl.
Mini = adorable & delicious.



I easily could've eaten the entire bowl of dough. It was seriously heavenly.
So much goodness packed in one little bite.

It's like I've just been to a campfire.
Devour. Look at the melted marshmallows and loads of mini chocolate chips!

Gooey S'mores Cookies
Recipe from Kevin and Amanda

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/3 cups flour
  • 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (7 full graham cracker sheets)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips (or mini Hershey's kisses or regular chocolate chips/chunks)
  • 1 cup Jet Puffed Mallow Bits*
*I could not find these at my local Target store (later spotted them at Walmart!), so I quartered mini marshmallows to look like Jet Puffed Mallow Bits!

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugars until lightly fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, use a food processor or blend to crush 7 graham cracker sheets into 3/4 cup fine crumbs (I personally kept mine slightly more coarse for added texture). 
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix on low speed until the dough just comes together. Add the chocolate and marshmallows, and stir until combined.
  5. Place 1.5 tablespoon sized scoops of dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes (makes about 2 dozen cookies).

No comments:

Post a Comment