Thursday, May 17, 2012

Cake Batter Bars

Gooey and golden brown. Melt in your mouth good.



Those who know me know that every year for my birthday I have a Funfetti cake. Without fail. Some may call me boring, but I will gladly beg to differ. When my parents (typically my father) whip out the Funfetti mix in August, I freak out. I dream of it. I eat the cake on my birthday, for breakfast the next day, and at all hours until the 13x9 pan has been completely devoured. I can't get enough.

Pinterest has fed my Funfetti addiction by allowing me to drool over all kinds of recipes made using Funfetti cake mix. There's Funfetti pancakes, Funfetti fudge, and these amazing Cake Batter bars made, obviously, using Funfetti mix.

My best friend, Tara, recently made these bars for the kids she babysits, and they were a hit. We both had a hard time describing their texture: was it a cookie, a brownie, or a cake? Whatever it is, the golden brown outside provides a slight crunch while the inside is so gooey and delicious.

These bars are a divine twist on the traditional Funfetti cake. They are a new obsession. I nearly ate the entire pan in one sitting, and coming from a Funfetti addict, that says a lot.

Cake Batter Bars
Recipe from Lovin' in the Oven

  • 1 1/4 cup Funfetti cake mix
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 5 heaping tablespoons sprinkles of your choice (I forgot to buy "chunky" sprinkles at the store, so I just used traditional sugar sprinkles, but "chunkier" ones may have added more texture. Think these if you don't follow my jargon.)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 pan.
  2. Cream both sugars, butter, vanilla, egg, and egg yolk in a separate mixing bowl.
  3. Gradually mix in flour, cake mix, and baking soda until just mixed. Stir in sprinkles.
  4. Spread batter evenly into greased pan.
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until top is slightly browned and middle still jiggles slightly. Cool completely before cutting.

Waiting for these to cool was torture...

No comments:

Post a Comment