I know, I know...I have been SO bad with my blogging. It's killing me. Midterms kicked my booty, but I am home for fall break, snuggling on the couch with pumpkin coffee and loaves of pumpkin bread. Talk about perfection.
With Halloween rapidly approaching (WHAT SHOULD I BE?! HELP!), I figure it's time to whip up some themed desserts. I know we can all agree on that.
While I absolutely LOVE candy corn (I'm a Brach's snob), it seems that a lot of people don't enjoy the festive treat. I don't understand their hatred. I literally eat a bag a week. YOLO, I'll say it.
These Candy Corn Sugar Cookie Bars are perfect for people who don't enjoy indulging in candy corn, but love the look of the striped candies.
While you could make your own frosting as the recipe calls for, I chose to use a can of whipped cream cheese frosting. Boy oh boy, it was perfection. It adds a sweet touch to these soft bars. Yum!
|How great are these eggs?! Love supporting the Breast Cancer Awareness cause!|
|Split yo dough.|
|First the orange....|
|Then the yellow...|
|Ready for the oven!|
|When done, they'll be slightly golden! Notice the bottom left corner...can't even wait for things to cool before I dig in.|
|After you've frosted your cookies, cut them into cut little triangles.|
|Easy yet adorable (and delicious!)|
Candy Corn Sugar Cookie Bars
Recipe from Cookies and Cups
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- orange and yellow food coloring
- can of frosting OR homemade frosting (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a 13x9 baking dish with foil and spray lightly with baking spray. Set aside.
- In your stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy and light, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined, scraping sides when necessary.
- Turn mixer to low and add in flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Divide the batter in half and color half of the dough yellow and half of the dough orange.
- Layer the orange dough in the baking dish first, spreading to edges of pan. Top with yellow dough, carefully pressing evenly on top of the orange.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Beat the butter and shortening together until smooth. Turn mixer to low and add in powdered sugar and milk. Turn mixer to medium and beat for about 1 minute until fluffy and smooth.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled bars and cut into triangle shaped bars.