(Sorry for these not so great pictures, they don't do justice to the flavor!)
I had no idea this recipe was from Weight Watchers (five points, in case you are wondering) when I originally found it BUT who doesn't love a a more guilt free dessert?!?!
I made these M&M Cheesecake Squares for my good friend, Alexandra, who just returned from her semester abroad in Ecuador. We met for lunch and it was great to hear about all of her adventures. She lived with a host family in Quito, did a lot of hiking, and took a sculpting class! She is so adventurous! She hope to be an advocate for women's health in the Latina community and is extremely driven. Overall, I am so amazed by people who study abroad. They have the most incredible experiences and are brave enough to experience it all in a foreign country. I had many friends study abroad this past semester and am looking forward to reuniting with them to hear all their stories!
When I asked Alexandra what I should bake for her, she mentioned her love for M&M's and we both knew this bars would be delish. The crumble topping is incredible and the walnuts add a little extra flavor. These did not fail to deliver. Like I said, you can't go wrong with cheesecake.
Weight Watchers Cheesecake Squares
Recipe from Weight Watchers Recipes
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup M&M (or Smarties) candy - I used M&M's!
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the margarine and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the walnuts and flour; mix well.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture you've just made; press the remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of an 8-inch square pan.
- Bake the crumb mixture at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Combine the softened cream cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla; using an electric mixer, mix at medium speed until well blended.
- Add the egg; mix well.
- Layer 1/2 cup of the M&M's (or Smarties) candies over the crust; top with the cream cheese mixture.
- Combine the remaining candy and reserved crumb mixture; mix well.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before serving.